Apr 17 2019

Garden hazards for pets

With the weather improving now, we wanted to remind everyone about the many garden hazards for pets.

Slug Pellets are very toxic and great care should be taken when using these. They commonly contain the chemical metaldehyde, are blue or green in colour and pets should be kept away from treated areas to avoid ingestion. There are pet friendly alternatives.

Cocoa shell mulch is particularly toxic to dogs, although many gardeners apply it to their flower beds in the spring and summer months. Dogs are attracted to these by the smell but they contain theobromine, also found in chocolate. Tree bark is a safer alternative.

Spring bulbs can be fatal if eaten by your pets. Daffodils and Tulips are particularly toxic to dogs and cats. The bulbs are the most toxic part of the plants.

Lilies are lethal to cats causing kidney failure if ingested and should be avoided in both the garden and in the home. All parts of the plant are poisonous and simply brushing against the plant and getting pollen in the fur can be fatal.

When adding anything to your garden always read the label to check if it may be harmful to pets.

If you suspect your pet has ingested anything unusual contact us immediately for advice.